Thursday, December 6, 2012

My Mission against HIV/AIDS Stereotypes


Today I want to write something that is very close to my heart. December 1 was World AIDS Day, this day is used to help educate people on HIV/AIDS. The HIV/AIDS crisis that we are now being faced with in today's society. This is something that I care about passionately because my brother has HIV/AIDS. I have made it my mission to break the stereotypes that people living with AIDS face on a daily basis. Having HIV/AIDS doesn't mean your gay and being gay doesn't mean you have HIV/AIDS or you will get HIV/AIDS. 

As far back as I can remember I knew that my brother was living with HIV/AIDS. Is he gay? Yes. Did he get HIV/AIDS from being gay? No. My brother, Joshie got involved with some people that weren't the greatest and he got hooked on drugs when he was a teenager. This is something that he isn't proud of, but it is part of his past. At the age of 17 he found out he had HIV. In a few short weeks he will be celebrating his 36th Birthday and still handsome as ever!



HIV started when hunters in West Africa killed and ate infected chimpanzees. Recent studies show that HIV made the transition from monkeys to humans as far back as the 1800's.  Many people before the 1980's died without even knowing what made them sick and the few that were diagnosed were diagnosed as having "GRID" (Gay Related Immune Deficiency). GRID was also referred to as the gay plague. It wasn't until the 1980's that researchers knew what HIV/AIDS was and was able to start diagnosing people. Many researchers were concerned with the accuracy of the name of the disease because gay-related did not encompass the demographics of the disease. In 1984 the US Department of Health and Human Services announced that a probable cause of AIDS had been discovered. Two short years later HIV was named as the retrovirus.

What is HIV?

H – Human – This particular virus can only infect human beings.
I – Immunodeficiency – HIV weakens your immune system by destroying important cells that fight disease and infection. A "deficient" immune system can't protect you.
V – Virus – A virus can only reproduce itself by taking over a cell in the body of its host.


What is AIDS?

A – Acquired – AIDS is not something you inherit from your parents. You acquire AIDS after birth.
I – Immuno – Your body's immune system includes all the organs and cells that work to fight off infection or disease.
D – Deficiency – You get AIDS when your immune system is "deficient," or isn't working the way it should.
S – Syndrome – A syndrome is a collection of symptoms and signs of disease. AIDS is a syndrome, rather than a single disease, because it is a complex illness with a wide range of complications and symptoms.
My brother plays a huge part in my life. Even though we are physically miles apart our hearts are together. We will always be there for each other no matter what. He is the oldest child and I am the youngest and we have the best relationship! 


(Don't mind the sleepy looks I don't know who decided taking photos first thing in the morning would be a good thing!) 

This is the first of many posts to come to help educate people about HIV/AIDS and to help break the stereotypes of those living with HIV/AIDS on a daily basis.  

I have started work on a very special project and I will be able to give you more details very soon. Stay tuned!  

(Facts reviewed from www.aids.gov) 

No comments:

Post a Comment