Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Click Happy!

In what little spare time I can find I spend time reading one of my friends blogs. Most of the time I am at work on my lunch break eating with one hand and scrolling with the other. A few days ago there was a post that I could really relate to. The topic of her post was taking photos. Photography is a major passion of mine so, this post was right up my alley.

"I have this habit when I photograph things. I’ll snap about 400 photos of something, and then I’ll open them up and really look at them. I may adjust the lighting, I may tweak them, and I’ll go through and delete every photo that just doesn’t… work. If there’s a blurry patch, it’s gone. If there’s poor lighting, it’s gone."  - DigitalEraMom.com
I don't think I could have typed those words any better than she did. I spent a few years taking photography classes in college and learning how to take the perfect photo with the perfect lighting with the perfect subject with the perfect focus. There are just times that it is near impossible to capture all of those perfect things needed for the perfect photo in a single shot. Yes, you can take multiple shots throw them into Photoshop and spend a few hours tweaking things until they are just right. But there is no better feeling than snapping a photo and bringing it up on the computer screen and it looking amazing straight from the camera.

I there there are times that I am more critical of my own work than others are. This past weekend I had been hurting really bad due to a little bit of a relapse from a surgery I had back in April but, I was tired of being in the house. A friend had reminded me that the air show was in town. We were able to take our own chairs so, that worked perfectly for me. I was able to go outside and enjoy myself where I didn't have to stand the whole time.

My friend and I headed over to the Air Force Base and after 45 long minutes we were finally being directed into a field to park in that was across the base of the entrance to the air show. They loaded us up on school buses to drop us off at the main gate. I couldn't remember the last time I had been on a school bus. I didn't remember how tall those steps where! After we finally made it to entrance we decided to walk around a few minutes before we found a spot to set up our chairs.


I am a huge Dale Earnhardt Jr. fan so being about to stand beside his car made my day. Of course his car was next to the National Guard recruitment booth. 

But back to my main point of this post. As I was going through all my photos from the air show I took 386 photos and I ended up only sharing 19 of them. This lines right up with what DigitalEraMom was talking about. My professional side of me comes on very strong when I am editing photos and now there are over 350 photos from the air show that are just siting on my external hard drive.

Here is a sampling of the photos I posted on my Facebook Loggins Photography and Design:




Do you take 100's of photos and only use a limited amount?


Be sure to surf on over to www.digitaleramom.com and check out her blog. 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, but things like action photography kind of require it. If you waste time fiddling around, you most likely are going to miss the subject at the moment you are trying to catch. In a situation like your airshow, I would just try to take a test shot every time I change location, then keep firing away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shots of the Blue Angels!
    Thanks for the link to my blog-- it's good to see you writing again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I do. :) But sometimes it is the imperfections in a photo that makes it just right.

    ReplyDelete